Thursday 10 February 2011

Dare to reach !



Standing at the bus top everyday, I see the same dog walkers, cyclists and families, all in their routine of daily life. For the last couple of weeks, I have been getting the later bus, which is great, but my group of people, that I observe whilst standing at the stop has changed.

As I stand their cold listening to my ipod, I have noticed a family that walk by. A tall dad wearing a hoodie and a beanie with his hands in his pocket, 2 boys always running ahead and 2 girls, one older than the other. The smaller girl with long gold hair in a ponytail, always lumbered down with at least 3 bags, her poor little body, shuffling along under the weight, trying to keep up. The other older girl who looks more strong and only has 1 or 2 bags, always seems to get to hold her dads hand, or always has the privileged position of walking next to him, down the road.

The younger daughter is so frail and small and never gets anywhere near her dad.

I remember last week she was crying and her dad just yelled abuse in the street at her. As she was crying, she dared to reach out and ask for his hand to connect with hers, but he just dismissed her. (now please don't think, I am judging the guy I'm not, she could of been really doing his head in that morning) but I will never forget the pure bravery of that small act of her lifting her arm to his in the midst of her sorrow.

It made me think of the bravery of becoming a Christian (does that sound stupid ?) knowing you need someone bigger and stronger and the act of reaching for Gods hand and his presence. God sees the small girl on the outside of the group, lumbered with all her issues, so frail and fragile and he totally reaches back and grabs her, to walk side by side with him in her life. Even taking the weight of the bags for her, carrying them for her. So shes free to enjoy the walk.

This truth never ceases to amaze me. Gods for the weak and the downcast, we are all that and all we have to do is dare to reach.

Its amazing the lessons I get taught at the bus stops.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment