Monday 13 February 2012

How to read the Bible for all its worth..




In the last week, I have started my bible study course. Now those of you who know me, know that I am not an natural academic, I love to read, but study is a whole other ball game. The course suggested reading a book by Gordon D Fee, called 'How to read the bible for all its worth'.

This would be a book I would never normally go near, it looks complicated

Now I am only on page 68 out of 300. but I feel I am slowly getting there. Yesterday it made me read the whole of 1 Corinthians out loud in one go. It was hard, but also very interesting, I do have to sometimes read the same sentences twice, just to get my head around it. But it's really opening up, how incredible the bible is from a whole different view point... I don't think I have ever looked at it, this way, its mad.

'one of the most important aspects of the human side of the bible is that, in order to communicate his word to all human conditions, God chose to use almost every available kind of communication: narrative history, genealogies, chronicles, laws of all kinds, poetry of all kinds, proverbs, prophetic oracles, riddles, drama, biographical sketches, parables, letters, sermons and apocalypses.' (this was from the introduction).

Now call me stupid, but i never really looked at it like that. for the next few months, i will be in Epistle's (check me out, only just learnt this word, going to use it as much as i can) and trying to wrestle with the scripture like i have never done before interesting times ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment