Tuesday 8 March 2011

Cool ! Yes or No!

'Living intentional, selfless lives isn’t cool.'

I was reading a blog today and slap bang in the middle was this statement... and it punched me in the side of the face...

Why you may ask? Lately I have been thinking about my sense of who I am percieved to be... Am i percieved to be a cool twentysomething with a random collection of funky watches .... and if not or if so, how does this make me feel ? DO I WANT TO BE COOL ?...

I can take it much further.. what does being cool look like today? A hipster intouch blogger. media savvy yet with an iphone in one hand and a starbucks cup of Coffee in the other and some serious sneakers on their feet. If this is what my perception is, Am I in this group. I am afraid to say I do tick some of those boxes...(not the iphone).

I remeber Shane Clairbourne in his book 'Irresistible Revoloution' speaking to some kids and them saying 'yeah it's okay for you to be a Christian and live like you do, look at you , you are cool with your dreads you have the whole , ragamuffin alternative vibe going on' in reply to this shane cut off his dreads then and there... did their perception of him just change then and their to be honest I bet they still thought he was quite cool..

But in his heart he was'nt that bothered about being in the group that everyone else would put him in. Is that the clue right there.. you are who you are in God.

iphones ad starbukcs and funky watches are not bad, as long as they don't give you, your status... making the choice, living completley for God is the focus, what people put on you is not your issue, but being able to say at any moment, this is not who I am.. and cut it away or give it away... showing you are only defined by God is what its all about...

3 comments: