Monday 20 December 2010

How to keep Toasty!!....


The 'Bright Young People' from the 1920's.

Right now, I am in my pj's and looking at the snow outside, and thinking how can it possibly get any colder.

I always find the best thing to do, as our country shuts down with the crazy temperature, is to shut down also. Staying in, if I can, with a book is one of my favourite things to do in winter and as tonight is suppose to see the coldest temperature in england ever. I am planning to do just that.

Right now I am reading 'Vile Bodies' By Evelyn Waugh, it's a brillaint book about the younger generation in the 1920's indulging in their partying , which is quite apt for the party season we are in. Below is a description

Vile Bodies is a 1930 novel by Evelyn Waugh satirising the Bright Young People: decadent young London society between World War I and World War II. The title comes from the Epistle to the Philippians 3:21. The book was originally to be called "Bright Young Things". Waugh changed it because he decided the phrase had become too clichéd. The title that Waugh eventually settled on comes from a comment that the novel's narrator makes in reference to the characters' party-driven lifestyle: 'All that succession and repetition of massed humanity... Those vile bodies..'

Do you really want to go out into the blizzard that is out there ? nah.... Stay in and keep warm and indulge your mind with a paperback...

No comments:

Post a Comment