Friday 3 December 2010

More to Offer than Tea.


So yesterday morning was pretty chilly on the skin, so much so, that the thought of having to sleep rough in it, is pretty traumatic to me.

With that in mind, on my way to work I decided to buy a nice cup of hot steaming tea for one of the Homeless guys I have gotten to know in the last few weeks. Only to find him not sleeping in his usual spot, which was brilliant cause I hoped he was somewhere nice and warm, but left me with a cup of tea in my hand, that I did not want. So I decided to go and visit the other Big Issue seller that I don't know as well. (my local is Tyrone, he's top class.) Only to find him not there either. So I lifted up a Little prayer to God saying 'help me bless someone with this tea' which he replied 'just walk' so I did.

After strolling around Cov town for a bit, I decided to go under a few bridges and came across these 2 guys arguing, straight away before I got close, I knew they were yelling over whose pitch it was sit and sleep/beg in. I knew I had to give the tea to them, so with baited breadth I strolled over .

The first guy said he didn't do tea, he was a coffee man and scowled at me, but the other guy was happy to take it off my hands. I also had a spare blanket on me (seriously) and he said 'that would be great to have'. After introducing ourselves to each other, me to them more than them to me. I got the vibe that they wanted me to go away, so they could carry on arguing over the pitch, but I knew I should ask them if they wanted prayer. I kept trying to guide the conversation in that direction, but it just wasn't happening. So I bottled it and walked away, annoyed at myself.

Why was it so hard to ask them if they needed prayer, even if they would have said no (in my mind this is how I justified myself not asking them).

If all I have to offer is tea and a blanket then they are screwed, and me as well. I have something more to offer which is eternal and life giving, which brakes all chains on addiction and I need not to but apprehensive about offering it up freely.

I Thought with the journey I have been on in the last few years it wouldn't have been so hard, but it was. I still need to rely on God to make me bold. So next time I am filled to the brim and cannot physically shut up about wanting to pray for them.

We have more than hot tea and a blanket to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment