Wednesday 29 December 2010

SuperNatural Forgiveness


(Coventry Cathedral ruins)

I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart.
Anne Frank

Today I was at Coventry Cathedral with a friend, and we came across some art that was to do with forgiveness and reconciliation (can't remember the artist or find him on their website). But there was one piece, that represented Auschwitz and it punched me in the stomach , emotionally speaking . In the canvas was Hair, Spectacles, Shoes and other artifacts. We started chatting about that amount of hurt and evil one man and his ideals could inflict on the world and asked ' If we could go back in time and kill Hitler, would we ? for the sake of saving so many Lives.'

Its a question that makes me uncomfortable, but what astounds me, are the stories you hear, of people who were actually there, prisoners in the camps being physically able to go up to their prison wardens who killed their friends and family in cold blood and say truly 'I forgive you' .

This blows my mind. I find it hard to forgive over the small things, so to me this seems mad, that amount of pure grace and love, it seems inhuman , unnatural to me. Then I remember its because it is. Only through Gods peace and love could I even contemplate that amount of love to a person who's hurt me so much. I have to remember that God forgave and forgives me (daily), so I have to do the same to other people.

I remember the prayer that is said in Coventry Cathedral quite a lot, it might be the Peace prayer, and I think of Anne Frank, a young girl who even in such horrific circumstance's saw past the dirt and focused in on the good in people...

'All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

The hatred which divides nation from nation, race from race, class from class,
Father Forgive.

The covetous desires of people and nations to possess what is not their own,

Father Forgive.

The greed which exploits the work of human hands and lays waste the earth,
Father Forgive.

Our envy of the welfare and happiness of others,

Father Forgive.

Our indifference to the plight of the imprisoned, the homeless, the refugee,

Father Forgive.

The lust which dishonours the bodies of men, women and children,

Father Forgive.

The pride which leads us to trust in ourselves and not in God,
Father Forgive.

Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.'

Would you Kill Hitler? Would you Be able to forgive ?

3 comments:

  1. These guys i watch on youtube came up with an idea called the 'evil baby orphanage' wherein we invent a time machine and travel back in time to collect all the evil people as babies and raise them in an evil baby orphanage, therefore eradicating the evil dictators of history without the need for murder'

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtATGzpTOFk

    here's a video discussion on the killing of baby Hitler...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just watched that, its flippin mental... the question kT ! what side are u on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. evil baby orphanage! We just need to invent a time machine!

    No killing baby Hitler because it means we put him beyond redemption. No one can do that but God. I once wrote a blog on the Lockerbie bomber- it's not exactly the same moral dilemma, but it touches on it.

    http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=121406172730

    ReplyDelete