Thursday 30 December 2010

Happy New Year..

So I hate to say this and sound like the boring old misery guts that I am , but I have never liked and still struggle to like New Years Eve. (you can stop reading now or shut down your laptop in disgust, I don't mind)

I think its a very telling time, of who you are as a person. Whether you are looking happily into the future (optimistic) or thinking about the time and year just gone (more pessimistic) or i could just be over analysing it to much.

But I remember someone telling me a few years ago, that it is the biggest time of the year for suicides. Now I don't know if it ever was, or still is true, but I can totally see why this seems true. The advertising world would have you believe everyone is having the best time in the world,
parties, celebration and such jolliness is being had everywhere, by everyone and you are the only one not included in this.

I remember reading a book by Nick Hornby called 'Long way down' whose central characters all met on a roof top on New Years Eve and were all going to jump off the roof. The book chronicles the hurts and pains they are wanting to get rid off by that final solemn act. (It does sound depressing, but it was brilliant, I think Johnny Depp brought the rights to be made into film, but I never heard anything since).

I think I look back and think 'I could of done more' whether that be 'prayed' 'danced' 'freely gave'. And feel down for all the people who are looking into the dark bleak future and think 'I now have to do this alone' I feel for them and then it gets rubbed in their face by the Asda advert on telly...

What I am trying to say is, this time of year can really cut people up, but they feel, they need to shut up vocalising their pain for fear of spoiling the waitrose advert style party people try to create. Which in the end adds to the awful statistic I mentioned.

So whether you are at a party living it up (and I am not knocking you if you are, you own that dance floor) or whether you are going to sit in front of the telly and watch a movie with the family, or whether you are on your own, alone and scared. A New Year means springs on its way and the small buds of growth will start to begin.

So whatever you are doing. A party for 50 or a party for one, enjoy it and know you are loved by the creator Abba.

Thanks to all who have listened to my insane ramblings over the past months..

Happy new year...

1 comment: